Follow Julian Pscheid on Twitter
🤝 How did you end up as a COO? What was your route to this position?
As a co-founder of EMERGE, I was involved since day one. My interest in project execution and company operations made this role the right fit for me.
I have always been passionate about technology and design, and becoming a COO at a Digital Product Agency has allowed me to combine these interests and play a key role in driving the success of the company.
🤝 What is the most powerful piece of advice you have been given? What was it, who gave it to you, and what impact has it had on you?
The most powerful piece of advice I’ve been given is to “always keep learning.” This advice was given to me by one of my early mentors as a business leader.
The impact of this advice on me has been profound. It has instilled in me a lifelong love of learning and a desire to continually improve. It has helped me to stay current with the latest technologies and trends in my field and has been instrumental in my ability to grow and advance my business.
It also helps me to be open-minded and be able to adapt to new things and changes. It has also been a reminder to be humble and to always be willing to admit when I don’t know something and to seek out the knowledge I need to move forward.
This advice has not only helped me to be a better professional but also to be a lifelong learner and a better person overall.
🤝 What lessons learned can you offer other COOs?
As a COO, there are several lessons that I have learned that I believe could be valuable to others wanting to grow in this role:
- Communication is key: You need to partner with the CEO to effectively convey the company’s strategy and goals to all levels of the organization. Clear and consistent communication will help to ensure that everyone is working towards the same objectives.
- Lead by example: As a top executive in the business, the COO should lead by example and be a role model for the company’s values and culture. This will help to create a positive and productive work environment.
- Stay organized: If this doesn’t come naturally to you, you might want to evaluate if the COO is the right role for you. As a COO, you should have a good handle on the company’s operations and processes. Being organized will help you to stay on top of things and to be able to quickly and effectively respond to any issues that arise.
- Be adaptable: The business environment is constantly changing, so you need to be adaptable and be able to adjust to new situations. Being able to think on your feet and come up with creative solutions to problems is an important trait for a COO.
- Continuously improve: One of the key responsibilities of a COO should be continuously looking for ways to improve the company’s operations, processes, and bottom line. This can be achieved through ongoing learning, experimentation, and data-driven decision-making.
🤝 How have you seen technology transform the role of a COO?
When I first started as COO, remote work wasn’t technically possible. But over the years, we had team members that pushed us on this, and we adapted early to support remote work.
Once COVID hit, this was a tremendous advantage. COOs have to be able to adapt to this new way of working and make sure the company is able to function well with remote teams.
🤝 What are you most excited about going forward?
Blockchain is becoming increasingly popular as a business tool. It is a secure and decentralized technology that can be used to store and transfer data trustless; it can also be used to build decentralized applications and platforms.
We are working with more of our clients on how they can incorporate web3 technology into their digital products.
🤝 What are the most important values you demonstrate as a leader?
As a leader, there are several values that are important to me in order to be effective: I am passionate about what I do, and I believe that this passion is contagious. I want to inspire my team to be passionate about their work and to strive for excellence.
I am always looking for new and innovative ways to solve problems and improve our business. I believe that innovation is key to staying ahead of the competition and achieving success.
I believe in being honest, transparent, and acting with integrity in everything I do. I want my team to do the same; it’s essential to build trust and respect with the people we work with.
🤝 How can a leader fail?
I believe a leader who doesn’t have a clear vision for the future of the organization or doesn’t communicate it effectively can fail to inspire and guide their team.
This can eventually cause the erosion of progress. Also, a leader who is unwilling or unable to adapt to change can fail to navigate the organization through difficult times or take advantage of new opportunities. When tested like this, rigid leaders can cause the organization to fail.
🤝 If our readers want to get in touch with you or learn more about your business, how should they go about doing that?
If your business owns or operates a digital product, we publish regular articles on product strategy, product management, and UX design on our website at https://www.emergeinteractive.com/insights/.
We also send out a weekly newsletter with resources for product owners that you can subscribe to as well.
Follow EMERGE on LinkedIn and Twitter